Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Today I am starting a new blog. I am really excited about going natural. Economically its a better choice for me. I'm thinking back to when I first got a a relaxer. I was 12 going on 13 and I wanted a bouncy ponytail like my peers. See, I failed to realize that they had relaxed hair for management purposes, I didn't need hair management, I was blessed with a wonderful grade of curly, healthy hair. I begged my parents for a "Beautiful Beginnings no lye relaxer". They shut me down over and over. Until one day, my begging resulted in my first relaxer. I WAS SO HAPPY! No more puff ponytails, no more dookie plats, just a head band and some straight hair. My parents regretted the decision to relax and then came the hot comb, LAWD have mercy! My hair became SO very damaged...it seemed I would never recover.

I then went to public school for the first time, my junior and senior year of high school. My cousin BEGGED my folks again for a relaxer. She said I cant have my little cousin going to school looking crazy. (Why is natural hair associated with looking crazy) 2004
Anyway, after highschool, I became a little more financially stable to go every two weeks to keep my hair up. My hair became healthy (at least that whats my beautician told me) more length, but still shedding. I the time I left for college, my hair was getting longer and longer, I wanted color, my beautcian said no, not yet.I attended Oakwood College(University) the land of Natural hair textures and colors. I felt at home. Found a new stylist who was ready to color my hair the moment I asked. Soon after the color and then jumped right into my natural state. BADDDD idea, boy. My hair was poppin and breaking like crazy. I then resulted back to the relaxer. 2006

Now, 2009, I have come to my sense's that the original standard of what my hair has to be to beautiful is not silky straight. My hair that grows from my scalp is beautiful, because it is apart of the identity God gave me. I dont need to correct or alter His doings. His will is perfect. SO with that said...on to my beautiful beginnings....no lye, no chemical...Gods Beautiful Beginnings, my natural hair.


No comments:

Post a Comment